If you have a car with no title in the state of Colorado, you can go and get a bonded title. The title bond allows the owner of a vehicle to claim the ownership of a vehicle when they do not have the original title. Here is what you need to know about bonded titles.

What Is Bonded Title in Colorado?

Also known as a lost title bond, the bonded title is a kind of surety bond or a document that shows you are the legal owner of a vehicle. It is the same as a regular motor vehicle title, and you can use it to drive the car legally around Colorado, sell the car, and register the car. Unlike the regular title, this title comes marked "bonded" in its brand section. The branding shows that there is a surety bond attached to the title.

The surety bond shows that you are the true owner of the vehicle. You are accountable for any claims on your surety bond.

If someone makes a claim against your bond, it is your responsibility to take care of the claim. Failure to take care of the claim will prompt the surety company to launch an investigation into the claim. If you resolve the claim, the process ends there. The bond holds you responsible for any actions.

How Do You Get a Bonded Title in Colorado?

To start the process of applying for the bonded title, attempt to contact your local DMV. The local DMV will check if you are eligible for the bonded title.

Explain your situation without leaving out any details and then ask if it is possible to get a bonded title. If the DMV office gives you the go-ahead, the next step will be to schedule a vehicle inspection. The Colorado law enforcement officer is responsible for vehicle inspections, and they give you a certified VIN vehicle inspection form after the inspection. You need to pay $20 for the inspection.

After the inspection, you need to perform a title record search. The Colorado Title Search will cost you $2.20, and you can have it delivered by mail, or you can pick it from the Denver State Office. If you choose to send your form by mail, the process may take up to 30 days, but the processing at the Denver office is instant.

A record search shows any existing records on a vehicle. If there are records on the vehicle, you may only need to contact the previous owner of the vehicle and get the title. The presence of an original title from a previous seller means you do not need a bonded title anymore. The search also shows any liens on the vehicle. Until you get a lien release, you cannot qualify for a Colorado bonded title.

Next, get an appraised value of the vehicle. You need a licensed motor vehicle dealer in Colorado to do the appraisal. After the appraisal, the dealer needs to write the appraisal value on their letterhead and sign it, including the dealership license number somewhere in the appraisal. You can also choose price guidebooks for vehicles seven years or newer or computerized valuation services, such as NADA Guides. The appraisal should show the year, make, model, and the VIN of your vehicle.

The bond amount will be double the appraised value of your vehicle. For instance, if the value of your vehicle is $3,000, the bond amount should be $6,000. After calculating your bond, you will be ready to buy the bonded title.

The next step is to buy a bond from a surety company. While doing so, use the correct bond amount from the step above. When applying for the Colorado bonded title, ensure that you have the manufacturer and vehicle number. You can see these details on the certified inspection form that you got in earlier steps.

Complete the necessary forms and submit your paperwork to the local DMV. You will pay a title fee of $7.20. If the papers get approved, you will get a title marked "bonded."

Colorado Bonded Title Requirements

If you are eligible for the bonded title, here is a list of the things you need to carry out the application process above:

  • Certified VIN inspection form written by a certified P.O.S.T inspector
  • Motor Vehicle Requestor Release Affidavit of Intended Use form
  • Colorado Title Record Search form
  • Signed Vehicle Value Appraisal
  • Bond Statement Guide & In Lieu of Bond Affidavit form
  • Complete form DR 2489A

Once you have all the documents you need, the DMV office will take care of the rest. The DMV office will explain whether you can get a bonded title for a car that previously had a salvage title and other titles.

Who Needs to Get a Bonded Title in Colorado?

A bonded title comes in handy for someone who did not receive their vehicle title. This means that they received only a bill of sale with no title for the vehicle. You can also go for a bonded title if your title was improperly assigned.

People who lose their title before they transfer it to their names should also seek a bonded title. However, if you had already registered the title in your bond before losing it, you only need a duplicate certificate of title, which you can get for $8.20 at your nearest county office.

Why Do I Need a Bond for Certificate of Title in Colorado?

The bond allows you to claim ownership of the vehicle when you do not have a vehicle title. You may have lost the title, misplaced it, or it may be stolen. You may also not have received the title with the purchase of your vehicle. The bond protects you from instances where someone gets a duplicate title for your vehicle and claims ownership. It also protects you from some undisclosed security interests. When you have a Colorado certificate of title bond, you have a document that is equivalent to the original vehicle title. You can do anything you want with your car with the bonded title, just as you would with the original title.

Does My Colorado Bonded Title Expire?

After three years, your bonded title will expire. For the three years your title is active, it will have the brand "bonded" on it to show that it is not the original title. After the third year, if no one makes a claim against your lost title bond, you can file an application with the local DMV to remove the brand "bonded" from the title. If your application is approved, the local DMV will remove the brand and issue you with a clean certificate of title.

You can sell your vehicle before the lapse of three years. However, you will be liable for any claims on the surety bond until the end of the third year. After the third year, you will be in the clear. If you have any questions, your local DMV office can help you get through the process with ease and give a free quote on the certificate of title bond. The DMV Colorado Gov website has all the information you need.

About us:
Bryant Surety Bonds, Inc. is a surety bond agency based in Pennsylvania. Licensed in all 50 states and with access to over 20 T-listed, A-Rated bonding companies, we have the contacts, expertise, and top service to provide you with a hassle-free experience, all while offering competitive rates for your surety bond.