How to Get an Oklahoma Dealer License
To sell vehicles in Oklahoma, whether new, used or wholesale, you need to obtain an Oklahoma dealer license. Licenses are issued by two separate licensing bodies, depending on the type you are applying for.
Common requirements include registering your business, finding a suitable dealership location, provide financial information, and more.
For a full list of the Oklahoma dealer license requirements, and instructions on how to apply, see our guide!
1. Choose Your Oklahoma Car Dealer License Type
There are three different dealer license types in Oklahoma. They are issued and regulated by two separate licensing bodies.
- The New vehicle dealer license is issued by the state Motor Vehicle Commission (OMVC)
- The Used vehicle dealer license and the Wholesale dealer license are issued by the Used Motor Vehicle and Parts Commission (UMVPC)
These licensing requirements for these types of licenses are slightly different and will be detailed below.
2. Register Your Business in the State
No general business license is required in the state of Oklahoma. Yet, you will need to get licensed at the Oklahoma Tax Commission to obtain a sales tax permit.
To register with the Commission, you will need to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
You may also require a local county or city business license. Contact your local licensing office or clerk to learn more about such a requirement.
3. Cover the Oklahoma Auto Dealer License Requirements
There are different licensing requirements for the different dealer licenses in the state. See the sections below for the license you want to apply for.
3.1. New dealer license application requirements
Applicants for a new dealer license must cover the following requirements:
- Complete an Oklahoma dealer license application form
- Company balance sheet or pro forma certified by a company officer (blank balance sheet included in the application form)
- Brief business history and a history of each owner and executive manager in the dealership
- Affidavit of extended service contracts (if you will be purchasing someone’s dealership)
- List and contacts of the manufacturers and/or distributors you will be working with
- Photos of your dealership front of the building, outdoor sign with the name of the dealership, showroom, parts area, service area, exhaust system in the service area
- Dealer agreements
- Management agreement (if you are taking over the management of a dealership)
- Gratis license application (included in the application form, this allows dealers to license one salesperson for free)
3.2. Used and wholesale dealer license application requirements
Applicants for a used car dealer and wholesale dealer license must satisfy the following licensing requirements:
- Complete the Oklahoma used car dealer license application form or the wholesale dealer application form
- A current report from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations (OSBI)
- Personal history questionnaire
- Proof of Oklahoma driver’s license
- Financial statement
- Certificate of insurance for a $25,000 single limit garage liability insurance
- $25,000 Oklahoma auto dealer bond
- Certificate of incorporation or good standing (if applicable)
- Photos of the outside of the sales office and the permanently mounted business sign; used dealers must also provide a photo of the sales lot
- Proof of a usable phone that is listed with the local directory assistance
- Attendance of education program
- Sample copies of the approved condition of sale documents (provided during the education course)
- Zoning permit from the city or county (only for used dealers)
- Initial salesperson application (only for used dealers)
In addition to the above, both used and wholesale dealers must pass an inspection and approval of their dealership location by a Commission inspector. The inspection is conducted after the submission and review of your application packet.
4. Get Your Oklahoma Auto Dealer Bond (only for used and wholesale dealers)
Used and wholesale dealers must post an Oklahoma auto dealer bond as part of their application to the UMVPC.
- Used and wholesale car dealers must post a $25,000 bond
- Used car dealer auctions must post a $50,000 bond
These bonds guarantee applicants’ compliance with the Oklahoma Used Motor Vehicle Dealer Laws.
5. Submit Your License Application and Pay Fees
When you have completed all of the above application requirements, you can submit your application packet.
5.1. New dealer license application submission
Applicants for a new dealer license must submit their application to the OMVC at the following address:
Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Commission
4334 N.W. Expressway, Suite 183
Oklahoma City, OK 73116
Applications are reviewed only on the second Tuesday of each month and must be submitted at least 8 days earlier.
Along with their application, new dealer license applicants must also submit a $300 licensing fee per franchise.
Once their license is issued they must immediately submit additional salesperson application forms for anyone not covered by the initial Gratis application form. The salesperson license fee is $25.
5.2. Used and wholesale dealer license application submission
Applicants for a used or wholesale dealer license must submit their application to the UMVPC at the following address:
Used Motor Vehicle and Parts Commission
2401 NW 23rd St. Suite 57
Oklahoma City, OK 73107
Applications are reviewed only on the second Tuesday of each month and must be submitted at least 11 days earlier.
Dealers must also submit one of the following licensing fees when applying:
- $600 for used car dealer and used car dealer auction licenses
- $600 for wholesale dealer licenses
- $200 for franchised used motor vehicle dealers
- $25 for salesperson registration (only for used dealers)
6. Oklahoma Dealer License Renewal
New dealer licenses expire on June 30 every year. The renewal deadline is June 1.
Used and wholesale dealer licenses expire on December 31 of every odd-numbered year.